Wednesday, November 4, 2020

Phil Henry's Chasing Echoes

I'm listening to my brand new vinyl copy of Phil Henry's Chasing Echoes album. It sounds great. 10 songs of passion-fueled lyrics and music. 3 of which feature the superb fiddling of my #1☀️. And while I love vinyl in general and this vinyl in specifical, I will point out that if you go for the cd version instead, you get 6 additional songs, 3 of which feature #1☀️'s fiddle. Problem: the Kickstarter campaign which partially funded this album is now over. Solution: bandcamp is forever. So have a free preview or two. Maybe three. bandcamp is very generous about that. But then hopefully you'll throw your money down to support Phil and his band of lovely people. Oh, hey...Woody Guthrie's great-grandson (and Arlo's grandson) does some singing on one of the tracks, which is quite a special bonus.


This is a most excellent album! My favorite track is "Saturday Night at the Hot Sera," which has a jumpin' Twenties feel, but there's a lot of competition for my #1 spot. I've found myself waking up with both "Pompei" and "California Stars" (which features some vocals from Woody's great grandson, Krishna Guthrie) running through my head, and there's not a single track (of the generous 16 here) which is anything less than Real Good. One caveat: the vinyl has ten tracks, so if you want the full monty, do what I did and buy both the vinyl and the cd. You won't be sorry!

No comments: