Sunday, June 20, 2021

Baron Wenckheim's Homecoming by László Krasznahorkai

It's been awhile since I read a piece of fiction for my Daily Devotional Reading. 212 days, to be exact. And it's been an even longer while since I read any László Krasznahorkai. Not sure how many days on that one, but I think the last book I read (not as a DDR) was The Manhattan Project, and that was in October of 2017. And it's also been a long time since I read a book that wasn't centered on World War II. 265 days, to be exact. (At least I'm assuming that Baron Wenckheim's Homecoming doesn't have anything to do with World War II. That's not really Laszlo's thing, you know?) So I'm pretty excited about starting this book. A little bit of strange, you know?

Near the end of Churchill's The Second World War, I did start to feel like I should start in on Ian Toll's Pacific War Trilogy, though. I looked at copies online...most of which cost more than I wanted to spend, so I didn't buy it, thus couldn't change my mind and switch over to it. Or so I thought. Because at the last minute (a day before finishing The Second World War), I checked the first book of the trilogy, Pacific Crucible: War at Sea in the Pacific, 1941-1942, out from the library. 


And it tempted me. But a deal is a deal, so I put it on the shelf and started went to meet The Baron.


Day 1 (DDRD 1,326): June 20, 2021

1 to 558, but page 1 is preceded by 14 pages of content...7 of which are text-filled. So I'm calling it 572 pages. I'm aiming for twenty pages per day, so if I hold to that this will be a 29 day project, putting End Day at July 18th. I suspect that I'll be taking down more than 20 pages a day. Hell, 20 pages isn't even a complete sentence for László. But we'll see how it goes. I've found that the road to success vis-à-vis my Daily Devotional Reading exercise is to set a reasonable goal rather than to try to push myself too hard. 20 pages will probably be thirty minutes or so, and that should do the trick.

I was puzzled by something that László was quoted as saying on the front flap of this book's cover: "...I really wrote just one book--Satantango, Melancholy of Resistance, War and War, and Baron Wenckheim's Homecoming. This is my one book." (1) I've read the first three of those books...and I didn't see that they were connected in any way. Of course, it's more than possible that I missed something obvious, but still...REALly? (2) László wrote quite a few other books: 

Relations of Grace (1986)
The Prisoner of Urga (1992)
Destruction and Sorrow Beneath the Heavens (2004)
Seiobo There Below (2008)
The World Goes On (2013)
Herscht 07769 (2021)

...and then there are the novellas and uncollected short stories and screenplays.... So what's up with this "one book" thing? Well, writers are paid liars...and they do like to fuck with people...so it could be that (or that). But I feel like there's something else to it, and at very least it makes me want to have another run at those other three books (in László's order, of course--which is also their order of publication).  Let's see, that would be 288 + 320 + 279 + 576 = 1,463 pages (using Amazon's numbers; I only own the first of these three books--and that's on Kindle--so I can't do a hand verification). So at the going rate for my DDR, that would only take 73 days. Do-able. But not now. I'm ready for some NEW Krasznahorkai now, so it's The Baron for me.


And a mere 6 (vi) pages in...well. I know it must be hard to proofread László Krasznahorkai. But hey, if you can't stand the heat, get out of the fuckin' kitchen, right?

1

 Seriously, New Directions, László Krasznahorkai deserves better than this. 

And this one--

2






--is a bit tougher, but clearly something is amiss here: "his whole conception"? "him whose conception"? I'd think SOMEbody could check with Mr. K on it, at any rate.

As for the rest of it...well, of COURSE it's a little confusing. I think the main reason that László writes this way is so that you do have to pay attention, you know? You can't just lie back and let it roll over you. Reading László Krasznahorkai is more like swimming against a hard current--you've got to work really hard to make headway, and if you relax, you're going to lose ground. It's not for everybody, for sure. But it is for me. I can feel the words beating against my neurons, sharpening them up, and if (when) I make it to the end of this, my brain might be sharp enough to cut a hole into this world. I did stop at twenty-ish pages today (page 10, and means I ALmost finished two sentences), but that was mostly because it was Father's Day and I didn't have any alone time to speak of. (Not a complaint.) Tomorrow I think I'll put a bigger dent in this. Maybe even tonight, if sleep eludes me--as it usually does. News as it happens.

And oh, I almost forgot. Today's annotations:

Hungarocell: is styrofoam...or a styrofoam-like polystyrene substance...which is apparently a great insulator. 

Nike of Samothrace: the Winged Victory statue...you know, the headless one. And apparently the right wing is an add-on. You know, for the kids. 


Day 2 (DDRD 1,327): June 21, 2021

Read to page 40. Early morning read, so might come back to it later on. The story is beginning to emerge after that strange and seemingly allegorical "Warning" that preceded the text and the first pages of the text proper. It's a pretty simple story: professor (former professor?) holed up in a hovel in a field, his daughter comes to shame him with a sign, reporters in tow, and he opens up fire (though not at them) and scares everyone off. Next day a motorcycle gang arrives, presumably to help the (former?) professor, while his daughter uses her sexual charms to manipulate a local television executive. It's hard not to see the professor as a kind of stand-in for László Krasznahorkai himself  --living in isolation, suspicious of the world. The professor also reminds me of the doctor in Satantango, sitting at his desk and constantly drinking brandy while the world outside his house dissolves. Krasznahorkai's writing reminds me of Samuel Becket--and not for the first time by any means. But the way he drills down on details, for instance. He can spend a paragraph (well, the equivalent, since he doesn't often use paragraphs) describing stacks of Hungarocell panels, for instance. Remember the Beckett piece where the guy describes his Sucking Stones? Yeah, it's kind of like that.

Once again there is great cause for disappointment in the proofreader(s) & / or editor(s) at New Directions. Check this out:

Page 22, bad hyphenation choice:
3







Page 38, a single pigtail is a ponytail, isn't it?

4


I can see why this might seem like nitpicking, but shit, I'm only 40 (+) pages into this book, and I've already found four errors. And though I can't recall specifics, I know that in previous New Directions reads (of László Krasznahorkai books) that I found errors. It just strikes me as being disrespectful. I've written to them about it, but they didn't even bother to responds. Mothefuckers. László Deserves Better!

ADDENDUM: Had some time, went back and read another 20 pages, to page 60. Which actually means that I read 50 pages today, which is kind of hard to believe, as it felt effortless. My goodness, if I could keep that pace up (I don't intend on trying, but that doesn't mean it won't happen), I could be finished the book in ten more days.  Just sayin', sir.

In other news, I have found that trying to excise a quote from László's work is unwieldy at best, since uprooting a brief phrase from a many pages long sentence requires some serious de-contextualizing, but I found this uprooted bit to be valuable to me:
"he...considered the greatest human value, next to sincerity, to be that of directness...[to] directly ask for what he wanted, with no equivocation, no hemming or hawing...." (44) Not anything stunning, just, you know...direct. And sincere. Side note: I went to check on the origins of "hemming and hawing." hoping for something nautical, but it wasn't nearly that interesting. It just means clearing your throat and being haughty, apparently. There's a nice article on it HERE if you'd like to details. 



Day 3 (DDRD 1,328): June 22, 2021

Read to page 90 this morning...so another 30 pages...and my Krasznahorkai stomach is not full yet, so I'm hoping to get some more pages in later on. The story has widened out considerably since the first bit, and now there are a good half-dozen or more characters involved, and the plot is beginning to lurch into motion. Baron Wenchkeim has even made an appearance. Also, maybe I've just settled into the Krasznahorkian mindset, but it doesn't seem particularly hard to read at this point, either. In fact, I don't even really noticed that periods and paragraphs are few and far between. I think it is somewhat like reading Proust: after a bit of initial disorientation, you get into the beat of it and it just swings along, almost effortlessly. Maybe even effortlessly.

In other news, there was a reference to "Csabai Road and Csókos Road and Nagyváradi Road," and of course I immediately had to see what I could see about that. Here's what I found on Google Maps:


So yes, these are real streets in a Hungarian city. I was surprised at all of the streets, though, as I was imagining that these streets ran through the middle of nowhere...or very small villages, perhaps. You know, something like the place in The Turin Horse. I flipped over to the satellite view, and it looked like a pretty populous place, though:



But then when I pulled back a bit, I got the feeling that this was a pretty small place in the middle of nowhere:

So I checked out Gyula, Hungary on Wikipedia, and it is referred to as a "town," exalted for its medieval castle & thermal baths, and as of 2017 had a population of 30,004. Furthermore,  Albrecht Dürer's daddy was born here.

One more bit: in today's reading...did I happen to mention that I went back for a little more and read another 20 pages, to page 110? Oops. Well, I did. So it was another 50 page day, and again (1) it felt effortless and (2) I actually feel like going back and reading some more later tonight. ANYway...in this bit, we learn that Baron Wenckheim's first name is Béla. Which immediately made me think of László 's old buddy, Béla Tarr, but (1) for all I know, Béla is a really common name in Hungary, and (2) turns out there really was a Baron Béla Wenckheim. I checked him out on Wikipedia, and I don't think that he's the character in the novel. For one thing, he lived from 16 February 1811 to 7 July 1879, and I got the impression that this novel was set solidly in the 20th century. Although I guess I could be wrong. Also, the real Baron served (albeit briefly) as the Prime Minister of The Kingdom of Hungary, and I didn't get the impression that the character in the novel was anywhere near that level of solidity. (So far all we've seen him do is shame his noble family by racking up enormous gambling debts.) Oh, and here's a Public Domain picture of the guy...just in case:



Just one more service we offer here at Songs Of Innocence & Experience.

More news as it happens.


Day 4 (DDRD 1,329): June 23, 2021

Read to page 160. Yep. Another 50 page day. Actually didn't think I was going to today, as I lost most of my free time this morning and then had a steady stream of bullshit to deal with for most of the rest of the day...but when things finally got quiet (-ish), I found that all I wanted to do was lie back on my sofa and read some Krasznahorkai. So I did. 

I've quite caught up in the story now, I'm happy to say. I'm sad to say, though, that I keep getting jolted out of the fictive dream by Fuckin' Proofreading Errors. I know from previous experience that it is useless to write to the publisher, but this is just beyond my capacity to bear silently, so I am thinking about writing to the literary agency that works for László Krasznahorkai. I'd write to László himself, but you haven't sent me his contact information yet.

Sigh.

Okay. Here are the typos.

From page111:
5

And before I go any farther, I think it's time to start numbering these, don't you? Okay. Going back now.

From page 133:

6

Page 135:

7


Page 138:

8

Again, page 138:
9


Page 145:
10

Page 150:

11


I don't know how you feel about that, but to me, that's a lot. And I think it's downright disrespectful for a publisher to be this slovenly about the work of a great writer.

Okay. Also want to talk about these things:

Complimentary things about Janos Kadar
Or, more properly, János Kádár. The reason I wanted to have a look at him was because I thought it would tell me something about the Baron's political leanings. A quick Wikilook shows that he was a very mixed bag: vacillating between extreme cruelty (". He presided over a period of repression, ordering the execution of many revolutionaries (including Nagy and his close associates) and the imprisonment of many others.") and good for the people ("Hungary was generally considered the best country to live in Central and Eastern Europe during the Cold War.") later on. So I guess it depends on how much you're willing to forgive his early years as a Communist leader...but I can't imagine idolizing a leader who had ordered unlawful imprisonments and executions. Of course, it's possible that there's more to that story than a paragraph in Wikipedia can reveal, right? (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/János_Kádár)

Who is Saint pantaleon?
Well...he doesn't seem to have anything specific to do with Hungary. He was (apparently--there's some question as to the veracity of the details of his life) the son of a rich man, became a doctor and eventually was the emperor's (Galerius--Roman emperor from 305 to 311) physician. His name means "mercy for everyone."

Acacia trees?
I see this name often, and I have to admit that I don't even know how to pronounce it, much less what it is. So I thought I'd have a look-see. Oddly enough, it is found in tropical and subtropical regions--so I don't know why it was mentioned here. As soon as I saw a picture I knew the tree--that kind of flat-topped thing you see in shows set in Africa. As for the pronunciation, it's uh-kay-shuh. So there it is. One less thing.

Szolnok train station
The Baron was very impressed by this station, so I thought I'd have a look. And? Well, it was pretty much just a big box. But what got the Baron was how it had changed since he'd seen it in his youth--from a two story building, the second floor of which housed the train guy, to...well, a big box. Looks like this is pretty much dead in the middle of Hungary, so the Baron is almost home at this point.

Dante, rear-guard player for Bayern Munchen according to the text, however, Dante only played for that team from 2012–2015
Bayern Munich (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dante_(footballer)?fbclid=IwAR1Mq63rmIHmigsanLmlYhU_HqmAu2QQ_waRDVspoQz2Jo7J3U5rNJ5PdEw)
There's a character who insists that he be called Dante...not for the great poet, but for this soccer player. Not much to say about this except what's noted above, that mentioned him in connection with the Bayern Munich team puts the setting in the novel between 2012 and 2015. 

More places: 
River Koros  ..  .. Körös, actually, but I don't know how to make the dotted o-s. Looked on the map, and the Körös comes pretty close to Gyula (Krasznahorkai's birthplace)...but it splits just a tad north of the town, and from thence it looks like the part that hits the corner of Gyula is called the Crișul Alb River.  
 
Jo'kai Street Jókai, actually. Which seems to be in Budapest. Or Hajdúhadház. But not Gyula, which is where I expected to find it.
 
Maro'ti Square  Hmm. Couldn't find any association with Gyula for this one, either.

Alma'sy Chateau  Almásy Castle, on the other hand, was smack in the middle of Gyula...and looks beautiful. (And is now open to the public! 44% off the entry fee if you get a Gyula Visit Card! Man, I guess it's a good thing I don't have any money to follow up on my whimsical thoughts. Very close by the Castle...within easy walking distance...is The
Snail Garden. Saw a visitor review online which said that it was "really just a park," so so much for that. Interesting, though, that most of these places are absolutely associated with Gyula, but a couple were not. I'm not going to spend any more time on it, since all I cared about was seeing if the named places were associated with the real Gyula, but it is kind of curious.

Also found a Music & Literature webpage which had what looks like an interesting article on Baron Wenckheim’s Homecoming--but I didn't read it, because I want to finish the book first. (You can find it here, though: https://www.musicandliterature.org/reviews/2019/9/23/lszl-krasznahorkais-baron-wenckheims-homecoming.)

...but I haven't got it in me right now. Maybe mañana.



Day 5 (DDRD 1,330): June 24, 2021

Read to page 261. And today's errors (sigh):


Page 187:
12

Page 203:
13

Page 208:
14



And hey, by the way: I'm getting pretty close to the halfway point of this novel. And I'm thinking that when I finish it up, it might be an excellent time to read the only other Krasznahorkai book I haven't yet read: The World Goes On. (Less than 300 pages, so probably just a few days' worth of reading, which makes me think that I should just do it as a side project, not as a DDR. But then again, it came out 3 1/2 years ago, I've checked it out of the library several times, and I haven't yet made a dent in it, so....)


Day 6 (DDRD 1,331): June 25, 2021

Read to page 260.

This has become quite the farce...and I mean that in a good way. There's no better way to coax a reader into a story than to cause him to feel offended by what is happening to the character(s).

Unfortunately, I am also offended by what is happening to László Krasznahorkai 's text as the proofreading errors continue. To wit:

Page 214:
15

Page 216:
16

Pages 236 - 237:





17


Page 239:

18 & 19 & 20

This is a particularly puzzling one, by the way. It should have read, "and then he couldn't finish his work if...." Where on earth did onehe come from? Come to think of it, this is actually three errors, then, isn't it? Yep. Because you also have to excise "the one." Shoddy, shoddy work, New Directions. And by the way, this is the second then / than error. That seems more than a little suspicious to me. 

So I'm not quite halfway through this book, and I've already found 20 proofreading errors. And I'm not even really trying, you know? Makes me wonder if I've missed a few. At any rate, my ire is growing by leaps and bounds. Trying not to let it distract me from this novel, as it is truly great stuff.

Oh, I got a little pissed off there and almost forgot: here's where Marika's house is.

I didn't have much hope of finding that, since when I looked for Jokai Street previously I didn't find it in Gyula, but I am nothing if not thorough, so I called up the map, found Scherer Ferenc Street, and traced along its length until I found, much to my surprise...


So it turns out there is a Jokai on Gyula. And as for this "intersection"...which is not quite an intersection...that's pretty specific in terms of locating Marika's house, isn't it?

ADDENDUM: Had a little lay-over, so I knocked back another 20 pages, putting me at (1) 280 and (2) a smidge past the halfway point in the novel. I'm sorry to say that I also scooped up another proofreading error:

Page 268:

21

So there's that. 

There were also a couple more VERY specific Gyula references: a restaurant located at 23 Sinka Istvan Street & the At Home Hotel. Neither of them are real, though (1) there is a 23 Sinka Istvan Street  and (2) there are hotels in Gyula. So there's that.


Day 7 (DDRD 1,332): June 26, 2021

According to Amazon, Baron Wenckheim's Homecoming is #165,732 in Best Sellers Rank: Books (Today). Which got me to wondering how his other books have fared on the A→Z. So I had a look.

Satantango: #212,719
The Melancholy of Resistance: #374,773
War & War: #611,779
Seiobo There Below: #653,866
The World Goes On: #818,235
The Last Wolf & Herman: #1,514,337
Destruction and Sorrow Beneath the Heavens:  #1,794,256
The Manhattan Project: #2,202,866
The Bill: For Palma Vecchio, at Venice: #2,714,260
Music & Literature No. 2: #4,415,173 And this one. Not available on eBay. Amazon says "Out of Print - Limited Availability" and has no listings. I did a fair amount of looking around at all of the other Usual Suspects...plus a general Shopping look...and found no copies at all. I am going to go put my copy in a plastic bag now.
Animalinside: #17,162,424 NOTE: saw listings for this selling at outrageous prices...as high as $877.95. I think I'd better locate my copy asap. (NOTE to NOTE: I will sell for less than $877.95 if you're interested.)

Just for the sake of comparison, I looked up the number for Stephen Dixon's I., published by McSweeney's in 2002. I briefly knew Stephen (we exchanged letters for a couple of years), and he told me that this book had been rejected by his usual publisher, and that in general his books didn't make any money...didn't even make back his modest advances. So I thought that would lend some perspective. And? It was #2,344,636 on the A→Z list. So all of László's BOOK books are doing better than that. It worries me. I hope László is doing okay. I want him to keep writing for another couple of dozen years, y'know?

ANYway....

Oh, just one more thing. I'm more than a little surprised that Baron Wenchkeim's Homecoming is László's "best selling" book. It's long... maybe his longest...it's difficult...and it doesn't have a very attractive cover. And I'm only halfway through it, and enjoying it mightily, but still, I have to say that at this point...I have to say that it is not László's best book. (That would be Seiobo There Below for me.) So what made BWH do so much better than his other books? Dunno. You tell me.

Okay?

Okay.

Read to page 340. So 60 pages. Didn't feel like it at all, though. For one thing, because it's one of my rare alone mornings...except for several phone calls from Joe and a video call or two from Jacqueline, it's just been Jet and me. Which re-arranges the time, for sure. For another thing, because The Professor has returned to the story, and I'm still struck by how his character makes me think that he is a kind of stand-in for László. Not for any direct reason, as I'm pretty sure that László has never killed a man or gone into hiding from a murderous biker gang, but just because he is erudite, philosophical, and far outside the realm of the Ordinary People. Also perhaps because he seems to have a telepathic relationship with the dog who has latched onto him. Anyway...there were a couple of lines in today's "20" (60) which I found noteworthy, namely:

"everything is just a kind of conceptual round in a boxing match that leads only to non-existence.." (304)

&

"...a child feels more than an adult knows...." (305)

Both come courtesy of The Professor.

And of course there was a proofreading error.

Page 292:

22

(An "into" seems to be needed here.)

I thought that I'd found another one on page 291:


But it turns out that you actually can use essay as a verb. I thought it had to be assay. Also turns out that there's a shade of difference in meaning between the two. According to our friends at Merriam-Webster,  essay means  "to try, attempt, or undertake," while "assay" is to "to test or evaluate." So I learned something today.

Lastly, the section I've been reading is entitled "ROM." Which of course made me think about our friend the Space Knight (originally published by Marvel from 1979–86, after that published by IDW). So for the love of ROM, I did an artsy picture of that chapter heading:



ADDENDUM: I got a little preoccupied with Krasznahorkai. Spent a long time searching for the two pamphlet books (The Bill and Animalinside)...with no success. I know I still have them somewhere, but I have the feeling that it's going to take a lot of patience to find out where I put them. Sigh. I also couldn't stop thinking about "ROM," so I went back and finished off that chapter. It was really good stuff. Just The Professor talking about life, the universe, and everything (actually talking to his dog, ha ha), but some great stuff, like this:


That made me stop and have a good think. For one thing, about how we spend so much time in our lives essentially doing things which are aimed at annihilating thought. We fall in love, we fight, we buy things we don't need, we have sex, we steal, we read books, we sing, we listen to singers, we dance, we drink. Desperately trying to annihilate thought. I dictated the line into my phone, and I was kind of amused that it turned my page identification (345) into a Bible chapter and verse format. So I kept it that way.

A bit later on, The Professor talks about how fear is at the heart of the human experience (yes, I did begin to hear John Cales's "Fear is Man's Best Friend" in my head). It culminated in this:

"...the cradle of human culture isn't the valley of the Yellow River, nor Egypt, and it isn't Mesopotamia, nor is it Crete, nor the city-states of ancient Greece, nor is it the Holy Land, and so on, but it is fear itself...every human culture is created by fear..." (352)

Not exactly an unfamiliar thought, but still startling, I think.

The last page of "ROM" (page 354) was only six lines long, but it included three periods. If you're a Krasznahorkai fan, you know how startling (and anomalous) that is. 


Day 8 (DDRD 1,333): June 27, 2021

Read to page 404. 

You know, I don't want to belabor the point of this Daily Devotional Reading thing...but I must interject that I am regularly amazed at how the books fall to this "twenty or thirty minutes a day" strategy. I mean, I've had Baron Wenckheim's Homecoming in my possession for a year and a half...and not only really wanted to read it, but actually started reading in a couple of times...but didn't get anywhere. When I took it up as a DDR subject, though, the pages just flew by. I'm probably going to finish this book in less than another week. I think part of the reason for the success of this strategy is that it doesn't set the bar too high, so not only have I met it every single day except for 1 out of 1,333...and that one was because I was in the emergency room...but also because that gives me the desire to read on a bit more on occasion. That desire seems to be amplified by fiction, as in the three works of fiction that I've taken on, I've been exceeding the 20 Pages Per Diem rate most of the time. But even if I didn't do that, the books would still be falling. It's the hitting it everyday. 🌊 breaks 🥌.

During the course of today's reading, I came to the end of the End of "HMMM" chapter, and guess what? The last page of the chapter consisted of  6 lines, and there were 2 periods and an exclamation point! Hmpfh.

Also, a word about disorienting transitions: László likes to switch point of view abruptly, sometimes even in the middle of a paragraph, and it always takes a few lines before I stop and say, "What?" And then I have to backtrack a bit, figure out where the break occurred, figure out who the new "speaker" is, and then resume the thread of the story. It's an interesting way of making the reader work a bit. It also has the possibly profound implication of joining people together, kind of like that "we're all one person" bullshit that my Crazy Ladies Group likes to foist upon me. Which, of course, may not be bullshit at all. (The mantra of my old age: Well...what the fuck do I know?)

ADDENDUM: Went back for another dip. Read to page 435, which means a mere 123 pages left now. Getting close to the end. Which I'm excited about, but not actually happy about. I'm not ready to leave this world just yet. (Although I suppose I could take László at his word and go back to Satantango and read "the whole novel" in one fell swoop. Sounds good...but probably not just now, I think.)

Alas, found two more proofreading errors:

Page 422:

23

Page 432:

24



Day 9 (DDRD 1,334): June 28, 2021

Read to page 475. Though I'm pretty sure that I'll be reading more later on today. In fact, my goal is to read to page 508...which would (1) leave me with only 50 pages in the novel & (2) make it pretty much a certainty that I would be finishing up this book tomorrow. Which also means that (3) I need to decide what my next book is Right Quick, don't I?

Anyway. I continue to be intrigued. Fascinated. Caught it the gravitational field. And almost dreading the end, actually.

Proofreading errors? Sorry to say yes.

Page 440:

25


Again, Page 440:

26

Perhaps this should be "...not even to mention to Dante that some little mutt kept rubbing up against his leg...." If so, that would mean that there are two errors here, but since it's not clear if that's the correction, I'll leave it at one.

Page 443:



Found a couple of spots online that indicate that deaccelerate actually is a word...but it's a stupid word, and any sensible editor would replace it with decelerate.


Page 476:

27


One positive thing that I should have noted long ago, on the other hand, is that this book actually has a sewn binding:


That's a pretty rare thing to see in these Quality Free days, so hats of to New Directions for that, at least.

I also noticed something rather odd about the table of contents. The second page looks more or less like this:


What's strange is that the book ends on page 558...which is the last page of the chapter entitled "SHEET MUSIC LIBRARY." 

Hmmm. 

One last thing for this morning: there's a bit wherein the town leaders are discussing an article which the newspaper is about to publish. It includes sentiments such as these:

"...to be Hungarian is...an illness, an incurable, frightening disease...." (468)

And it pounds on that theme pretty mercilessly. A strange thing for a man to write about his own country, ennit? And unlike Trump, László doesn't seem to be joking.

Again, hmmm.

ADDENDUM: Read a bit more...to page 508. So yes, made it, and it looks like tomorrow will be it.

Meanwhile...it got even worse with respect to the Hungarian thrashing...when László added that it was even worse to be a Christian Hungarian. Yowza. If that's not poking a hornet's nest with a short stick, then I don't know what is. I'd be interested in seeing some Hungarian reactions to this part of the book.

Two more proofreading errors, both from page 489:

28

"...that point in the office, as if it were holding his face there...."

29

"the problem--the content of which was completely obscure, as was its cause...."




Day 10 (DDRD 1,335): June 29, 2021

Read to page 558...in other words, FINI. And quite a finish it was, probably the biggest (the spoilers) ending ever for Mr. Krasznahorkai. 

And my final proofreading errors:


Page 517:

30


Page 530:

31


Still pondering if it's worth my time to try to write to New Directions about this. I guess it can't hurt to try, anyway. But I'm also thinking about just trying to write to László agents or even to László himself, because it really, REALly irritates the piss out of me that New Directions did such slovenly work on such a great novel.

Speaking of...I still haven't decided what my next DDR book is going to be. I have no more László Krasznahorkai in hand, but I could pick The World Goes On from the library this afternoon. Or I could start The Pacific Trilogy. Or...several other possibilities are in hand. 

More news as it happens!




DDR Day 1000 to Day 2000:

(1) Leviathan 63 days, 729 pages
(2) Stalingrad 27 days, 982 pages
(3) Life and Fate 26 days, 880 pages
(4) The Second World War 34 + 32 + 40 + 43 + 31 + 32 days = 212 days, 4,379 pages 
          
          Sub-Total: 6,970 pages...more than 1/2 of my first 1,000 DDR days total, btw

(5) Baron Wenckheim's Homecoming 10 days, 572 pages


No comments: