Wednesday, March 29, 2023

"Virginie Despentes"

I just got a notification from the blogger folks that one of my posts has been deemed "Sensitive" in nature. There's now a warning that comes up which says

Sensitive Content Warning

This post may contain sensitive content. In general, Google does not review nor do we endorse the content of this or any blog. For more information about our content policies, please visit the Blogger Community Guildelines.

You have to click on either of these boxes

I UNDERSTAND AND I WISH TO CONTINUE I do not wish to continue

before you can get to the post.



Well, no big deal...although if you're hoping for a big thrill because of that warning, I can guarantee you that you'll be disappointed. Here's the thing, though. The post in question is "Virginie Despentes," which was published on January 22, 2021. In the two years and two months and one week since it appeared, it has had 9 visits. 

So I'm guessing that it took exactly one complaint for the wheels of justice to grind down on my little post. A post which is primarily a summary of and quotation from a novel by this female writer about the way that some women use sex as a weapon. Not a misogynistic screed by yours truly...though I do write about my personal experiences which go hand in hand with Virginie's comments. I also add that I'm sure that these same criticisms apply to men. 

So what's the buzz? Tell me what's happening? 

My guess is that "a" woman...and I'm pretty sure that I know which one...read my post and decided that I was saying that ALL women are like this. Which is not what I said at all. It's not censorship, of course, since all you have to do to get to the post is click a box, but it certainly is an attempt to marginalize a critical comment which is based on what a woman said about women.

Which seems like bullshit to me.

But what do I know.

It will be interesting to see if the post gets more visits now that it's been "warning labelled," though. Do your part, faithful readers, and visit it as often as possible.

Virginie Despentes


ADDENDUM:

Bulletin, bulletin, bulletin...this is a bulletin, bulletin,  bulletin. Just in case this wasn't absurd enough already... there's this. I was checking back to see if my plea (above) had attracted any help. It had, so thanks. And while I was there, I read through my original post, still trying to figure out why this one had been flagged. When I got to the end of it, still wondering, I noticed a minor typo, and fixed it. When I went to update the post, it triggered an automatic reevaluation of its contents. Keeping in mind that I had only changed one letter, you can see how absurd that was. But check this out. Shortly thereafter I received this message:


What the fuck, man. What the actual fucking fuckity fuck.


No comments: