Monday, May 13, 2024

That's Four, Four Isaac Asimovs, ah ah ah.

I was reading a little this & a little that, and I came upon some rave reviews for this


 anthology of Old Timey science fiction...edited, of course, by Isaac Asimov. And the rave reviews were so rave-y that I had to seek out a copy. And when it arrived yesterday, I couldn't stop myself from reading the Autobiographical Introduction.

I finished said AI today, and couldn't stop myself from reading the first story, Edmond Hamilton's "The Man Who Evolved," first published in 1931. 

As in 93 years ago. 

And?
It was crude and a little silly...scientist bombards himself with cosmic rays and turns into...well, you'll just have to read it for yourself, won't you? *  But it certainly was a fun read. And I doubt very much that I'll stop nibbling at this book after the first story.


However...

I'm currently reading The Positronic Man by Isaac Asimov and Robert Silverberg. Finished that one. Replaced it with I, Robot. Finished that one. Replaced it with The Currents of Space. Finished that one. Replaced it with In the Beginnung.

And The Tyrannosaurus Prescription and 100 Other Essays by Isaac Asimov. Finished that one. Replaced it with The Tragedy of the Moon.

And I'm reading Norby's Other Secret by Janet and Isaac Asimov to Joe.

Not to mention some non-Asimov books.

So four Asimovs going.

And I did just get Asimov's Animals of the Bible and was thinking about starting that with Jacqueline.... Nope...finished that one, too.

Hmmm. I guess I do have an Asimov's problem.

But I like it like it yes I do.

🎢🥌

*  But I will say that it's easy to find online...and that the magazine that it first appeared in bore this cover:




5/16/24
Finished the second story, "The Jameson Satellite" (by Neil R. Jones.  In his afterward to the story, Asimov says it is "probably the least skillfully written story in this anthology."  (59) And then he credits it for inspiring his own robot stories and novels. So there's that.

At any rate,
it's another brain-focused story (as was the first story, as you probably supected from the cover illustration). 

Here's hoping for a change of venue in the third installment in this anthology. 


No comments: