Sunday, May 12, 2024

Speaking of Beneath the Trees Where Nobody Sees....


Issue #6 (the last, alas) just came out May 8th. And the collected edition is scheduled to appear September 17, 2024...for a mere $17.99 list price--which is substantially less than the separate issues, which cost $23.94. I might have to buy that collection, actually, as (1) I missed the first two issues and only read them on hoopla and (2) there are always extra bits in the collecteds. Oh, and (3) I want do to my part to encourage IDW to go another round with this story, as there is plenty of room for that.

But about this cover....

It's pretty clear that we're seeing a human face underneath that cartoon bear. Does that mean that this whole Funny Animal Serial Killer thing is just a kind of delusion, and that we are, in fact, reading about a serial killer who pictures herself as a cute animal? Or are we just seeing the comparison of the animal with the human? Or something else I haven't thought of?

Dunno. But this was a very interesting read...one of the best comic book reads I've had in a very long time. And Patrick Horvath (writer & artist) is an interesting fellow, and I'm looking forward to seeing some more work by him.

No comments: