Wednesday, August 26, 2026

Asimov Fucks Up Again

 


I finished Asimov's Annotated Gilbert and Sullivan this morning, and while it wasn't great, it was good enough for me to think that I'd like to read another Asimov annotated book. These are the others:

Asimov's Annotated Don Juan (1972), Asimov's Annotated Paradise Lost (1974), Familiar Poems, Annotated (1977), Asimov's Annotated Gulliver's Travels (1980), and Asimov's Annotated Gilbert and Sullivan (1988). In the same category but not really "annotated" in that the full text isn't reproduced with the notes are Asimov's Guide to the Bible in two volumes (1968 and 1969) and Asimov's Guide to Shakespeare in two volumes (1970). In the Beginning: Science Faces God in the Book of Genesis (1981) should also be included (though it doesn't look like anyone on the internet has done so) as it comments extensively on the first eleven chapters of Genesis--and also reproduces the text of those chapters. 

So depending on how strict you are with the definition of "annotated" and "volume"), Asimov has between 5 and 10 annotated books. I've read 5 of the 10 so far (       ), and after finishing off G&S I thought I might (please, sir) have some more. I wasn't in the mood for the long works, though, so I had a peek at Familiar Poems, which is available through Internet Archive (https://archive.org/details/familiarpoemsann00asim/mode/1up). Or you can buy it for about 60 bucks. 

I opted, as you probably guessed, for Internet Archive. The table of contents included many poems I didn't know, but as the first one listed was "Ozymandias," I had a look at it.

I got to the second annotation and encountered a problem. Well, two problems, actually. 


Problem the First: The "another woman" referred to in the first paragraph is Mary Shelley. This is obvious in the second paragraph when it refers to the fact that she wrote Frankenstein, but why on earth isn't she identified either time by name? Seems to me a bit misogynistic.

Problem the Second: Asimov tells us that "Ozymandias" (which should not be italicized, btw) is a portion of a longer poem entitled "The Revolt of Islam." I was surprised by that as I've been reading this poem for about 50 years and had never heard that before, but being be the wily and suspicious old man that I am, I found the full text of the poem--quite a long one, so I didn't want to read it all--and did several word searches using keywords from "Ozymandias."

No results for any of them.

Inescapable conclusion: Asimov fucked up. Which isn't a huge deal, of course, but this is something that could easily have been checked, even in those pre-internet days. Yet neither Asimov nor his proofreaders(s) nor his editor(s) did so, and that's a sign of laziness which irks me...and undermines my trust in the work. So I decided to put this one back on the shelf, so to speak, and have another think on it tomorrow, when I choose my next Daily Devotional Reading. 

🤔

No comments: