Tuesday, April 2, 2024

Norby...in case you need to know.


All of the Isaac & Janet Asimov Norby books-- 


Norby, the Mixed-Up Robot (1983)

Norby's Other Secret (1984)

Norby and the Lost Princess (1985)

Norby and the Invaders (1985)

Norby and the Queen's Necklace (1986)

Norby Finds a Villain (1987)

Norby Down to Earth (1989)

Norby and Yobo's Great Adventure (1989)

Norby and the Oldest Dragon (1990)

Norby and the Court Jester (1991)

Norby and the Terrified Taxi (1997) 


--can be found at https://archive.org/details/texts?tab=collection&query=Janet+asimov


Yep, Joe and I have finished all six of the Lucky Starr novels, and we're going to have a run at the Norby the Robot series now. I bought a one volume collection of the first two volumes for cheap, but will probably switch over to Internet Archive for the rest (1) if Joe wants to continue and (2) if that's okay with him, because some of the other volumes get pretty pricey. 

According to Wikipedia, Janet did 90% of the work on these books...and 100% of the last book, which was published after Isaac had died...but the first ten are listed in his Bibliography, so that's good enough for me.

And for a 🐴's👄 version of that, here's Isaac Asimov in The Tyrannosaurus Prescription and 100 Other Essays: "Whenever our names both appear, Janet and I discussed the book and then she did the writing and I did some unimportant patchwork." (301) 

Sounds more like 98% to me.

Also explains why the first Norby book was so bad, so lacking in any of the qualities of good...hell, COMPetent...fiction.  I'm committed to reading the second book (because (1) I was unwise enough to buy a compendium version of the first two books and (2) I am reading to my autistic son, who gives In For A Penny, In For A Pound new depths of meaning.

I'm not telling Joe that there are 9 more Norby books after Norby's Other Secret. 

No comments: