Monday, July 15, 2024

Neil Young, CDs, and Vinylish Things

I've been buying vinyl records for a very long time. Just a hair shy of fifty years. My first purchase was a 3 for something...probably a dollar...and included a knock-off version of the Shaft soundtrack by...I shit thee not...Soul Mann and the Brothers. No, REALly. Here, hang on for a minute. Ah. Thus:


I wish I still had that one, but I'm not about to pay the big bucks they want for it on eBay. Anyway, the second item in that first vinyl buy session was Silver Throat: Bill Cosby Sings. Yeah, but how were we supposed to know that in 1975? And get this: I still have that record. As for the third...no idea. 

And I continued to buy vinyl, even though I also amassed a huge CD collection. 

Lately I've started going out of my way to buy vinyl versions of the music I really wanted, even though it cost at least twice as much as CDs...and thrice as much as downloads. I felt like I was supporting QUALITY

And then I read this:

Neil Young dismisses vinyl revival as a 'fashion statement'

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/feb/03/neil-young-dismisses-vinyl-revival-as-a-fashion-statement

And when I did a little Googling to check on what Mr. Young was singing about, I found out that he was right. It's all just CDs on vinyl now.

Fuck.

And I was just about to lay down $30+ for The Felice Brothers' Valley of Abandoned Songs. 

Fuck.

P.S. Shortly after the above mentioned records, I purchased David Bowie's The Man Who Sold the World. So I did have SOME taste.

Still have that record, too.

No comments: