Friday, July 1, 2022

Power to Love

Have you ever been to Electric Ladyland?

Well, I have.

Today, in fact.


It's been years since I last set foot inside the place, and I was surprised to see that what had once been a Used Records Store had become a store that sold lots of stuff--mostly drug paraphernalia--and a few records on the side. 

Bummer.

But I had a look around anyway...mostly because I needed to kill fifteen minutes and wanted to do it in an air-conditioned environment. And as I was browsing, I heard the gal behind the counter talking to a customer. I looked over and the customer was in a wheelchair, and his speech was very difficult to understand. But the gal, who was very young, was not put off in any way. She talked with him at some length, and when he was ready to leave she said, "Let me get that door for you"--because the shop is not in any way wheelchair friendly--and she came around the counter, which was actually a pretty long walk because of the stupid way that the counter was constructed, and held the door for the guy.

When it was time for me to leave, she called out good-bye and I started to hit the door, then stopped and turned back. 

Those Turning Into Your Parents Progressive Insurance ads reared their heads inside me, but I brushed them aside and went up to the counter.

I said, "I have to say something. I live with two autistic adults, and I have a lot of opportunities to see how people relate to special needs individuals. But I rarely see anyone as kind and nice as you. I want to thank you. You give me hope in this godforsaken world."

I actually felt such a surge of emotion that it was hard for me to say it all, and when I looked in her eyes I could see that she was touched, which made the effect on me amplify. But I managed to say good-bye and leave without crying.

There are good people in this world. It's easy for me to forget that sometimes.

And I'm determined to acknowledge that goodness whenever I see it, even if it is awkward and embarrassing. 

And even if it does make me feel like the old guys in the Progressive commercials.

No comments: