Saturday, July 30, 2022

FitBit

I've gone through a few FitBits. Starting with free ones from my health insurance folks--first a Zip, then an actual wrist band one. (There was another free Zip along the way somewhere...but I never even used that one.) I was quite happy with the wrist band one, and, in fact, still have it. But when I wanted to motivate my #2🌞 to move a bit more, I bought him a Versa 2, and I was imPRESSed with it, to be sure. And since I'd been having trouble with my heart for some time, I really wanted to have a FitBit which would give me a readout on my heart rate (as the Versa 2 did). So I bought myself a Charge 5. Not as fancy schmancy as the Versa 2, but it had everything I wanted...and was a few notches cheaper. ($178.95 for the Versa 2, $129.95 for my Charge 5.)

It was everything I dreamed it would be. And it turned out to be useful, as when my heart acted up I could check my bpms (usually in the 130 or over range when the pain hit) and then stop what I was doing and wait until the numbers came down to a more reasonable range. And I began to notice that if I paid attention to my body (hmmm, I'm feeling okay now, I can get going again!) instead of the numbers, that I would re-experience pain pretty quickly. My subjective feeling of "okay" did not correspond to the numbers on the dial. If I paid attention to the numbers, it was smooth sailing.

And from 3/15/22 until 7/28/22, all was right with my FitBit world. And then, SUDdenly...I looked at my watch face, and it was black. I tapped. I poked. I put it on the charger. Nothing. I Googled. I YouTubed. I pressed the little button on the charging cord 3x (I didn't even know there was a little button on the charging cord before this). Nothing. I cleaned the back of the FitBit and the front of the charger with my thumb, then with a pencil eraser, then with alcohol. Nothing X 3. I despaired. I started looking online to see where I could get a new FitBit ex post quicko. Saw that Best Buy up the street had a couple on hand, and they'd be opening in a few hours, so....

And then I decided to give it one more go, and opened a chat with a FitBit person. Went through all of the same steps I'd already gone through. Nothing. Then she told me to write a number on a piece of paper and make a video with the paper and with me holding the FitBit and swiping the dead screen. Weird, but okay. Did it. She sent back a message saying that she would send me a link to get a free replacement FitBit.


So 😞 that I'll be FitBitless for a few days...but hey, a new FitBit for free, and I didn't even buy a warranty! 

This army's alright!

 


No comments: