Sunday, July 24, 2022

Dream, dream, dreammmm, dre-e-e-e-eam.

Did you ever have a dream (or two)? Well...how did that work out for you? 

Yeah, same here. And maybe that's why I'm particularly moved when I encounter others who are straining for their dreams.

So, for instance, I've spent a lot of time checking up on James Sutherland, whose first novel, Stormtrack, arrived with much ballyhoo as the maiden voyage of the Harlan Ellison Discovery Series way back in 1974. At this point I think I've tracked down and purchased copies of all of Mr. Sutherland's published work...but it wasn't easy, even though there weren't a whole lot of pieces to track down--20 at the most, most of them non-fiction pieces. And I haven't been able to find anything by him for since the 80s. But I think about Mr. Sutherland and wonder what happened to him. I wonder if he got frustrated and gave up on writing. And that thought makes me feel bad, so I re-read one of his pieces to make myself feel better.

And there are lots of other writers and singers and artists I feel that way about. 

Now, Louis B. Butler is a young fellow, so he's still got lots of time to live his dreams. And, in fact, he's right at the beginning of his career as a singer / songwriter right now. He's got a video on YouTube and 5 tracks on SoundCloud. At the moment, his video has 557 views and 35 likes. 

The YouTube song, "And I To Care For," is a beautiful thing with a lovely bit of guitar playing and a gentle, moving vocal. And I was thinking, wouldn't it be a nice thing if Louis checked back on his video later this week and it had 1,000 (or 2,000, or...) hits, and 1,035 (or...) likes? Wouldn't it be nice to give a young dreamer some encouragement and appreciation?

Give it a listen, won't you? 

And if you like it, give it a like.





And as for those SoundCloud songs, you can find them here:


No comments: