Thursday, June 13, 2024

198 bpm



And just for perspective, my Maximum Heart Rate (old man that I am) is 153 bpm. So that's concerning.

I went to Target to buy some stuff for my youngest son, who's just moved into his own apartment. I asked if I could pay with a check, and the cashier said yes, so I filled it out. She tried to run it through a machine...twice...and couldn't get it to work. So she asked another Target person to help. He couldn't get it to work either, so he asked me to move to the next register. He couldn't get that one to work, so he asked me to go to the next register. That's when my slow burn started. Then he said that he couldn't accept my check, and that I could call a number on a slip of paper he handed to me if I wanted to know why. I said that was ridiculous, and he said, "There's been a lot of check fraud." He clearly indicated that he thought that that category included me. I asked if I could speak to a manager. He said (of course), "I am the manager." I told him that I would never shop at his Target again. He didn't seem to care.

And that's when my heart hit 198 bpm.

Two things:

(1) The next day I went to Meijer, got the same stuff, and paid for it with a check. No problem. Pleasant cashier, too.

(2) So now I know how I'm going to die. One day some asshole is going to give me shit, my heart is going to hit the roof, and I'm going to drop dead on the spot.  Thanks, heart disease.

Oh, three things.

(3) Fuck Target, man. I ain't going back.

No comments: