Wednesday, July 22, 2026

DDR: Asimov's Annotated Gilbert & Sullivan by Isaac Asimov

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

On the one hand, I was very anxious to continue reading works about Christianity--and specifically about the Gospel of John, as that 3 volume thing I alluded to in a previous post really was pulling at me. But this morning when I sat down to do some Daily Reading work I felt myself pulled to read A Far Country by Daniel Mason instead, and after an hour or so of that I didn't have it in me to face the Gospel of John. So I poked around idly and thought, "What about Isaac Asimov's book on Gilbert and Sullivan?" (I'm still feeling the regret over not buying this when I saw a copy at Half-Price Books. It was expensive, but less than half of the cheapest price I've seen for it online.) But when I saw the length of it--over 1000 pages!--I thought, "Nope, not that one." But I started to read anyway, and you know what? I think it's that one. We'll find out soon.

It's xiv + 1,056 = 🥁🥁🥁🥁 1,070 pages. But hey, I just finished 1,600 pages on The Death of the Messiah, so...☮🎂!


Day 1 (DDRD 3,184) July 22, 2026

Read to page 21. Actually a bit of fun. Isaac was a pig towards women, and I regret that, but he sure could write. And he's at his best when he's writing about himself...which he essentially is doing here when he's not dropping knowledge.







Day 2 (DDRD 3,185) July 23, 2026

Read to page 60. Shortly after I started today's reading, I realized that I felt very relaxed. Sorry Mr. Brown, but  Death of the Messiah was pretty hard work, and I have to admit that I didn't look forward to it...even though I got a lot out of it and "enjoyed" it.

Finished the first operetta--Thespwork,Definitely not a major work but it had its moments. The music for this operetta has been lost, so it cannot be performed today--at least not as intended. Apparently Sullivan re-used at least some of the tunes in later works, however.

"Love's flame is the vilest of arsons..Bubba.42) Fuckin' A, Bubba.


No comments: