On the one hand, I was very anxious to continue reading works about Christianity--and specifically about the Gospel of John, as that 3 volume thing I alluded to in a previous post really was pulling at me. But this morning when I sat down to do some Daily Reading work I felt myself pulled to read A Far Country by Daniel Mason instead, and after an hour or so of that I didn't have it in me to face the Gospel of John. So I poked around idly and thought, "What about Isaac Asimov's book on Gilbert and Sullivan?" (I'm still feeling the regret over not buying this when I saw a copy at Half-Price Books. It was expensive, but less than half of the cheapest price I've seen for it online.) But when I saw the length of it--over 1000 pages!--I thought, "Nope, not that one." But I started to read anyway, and you know what? I think it's that one. We'll find out soon.
It's xiv + 1,056 = 🥁🥁🥁🥁 1,070 pages. But hey, I just finished 1,600 pages on The Death of the Messiah, so...☮🎂!
Day 1 (DDRD 3,184) July 22, 2026
Read to page 21. Actually a bit of fun. Isaac was a pig towards women, and I regret that, but he sure could write. And he's at his best when he's writing about himself...which he essentially is doing here when he's not dropping knowledge.
Day 2 (DDRD 3,185) July 23, 2026
Read to page 60. Shortly after I started today's reading, I realized that I felt very relaxed. Sorry Mr. Brown, but Death of the Messiah was pretty hard work, and I have to admit that I didn't look forward to it...even though I got a lot out of it and "enjoyed" it.
Finished the first operetta--Thespis. Definitely not a major work but it had its moments. The music for this operetta has been lost, so it cannot be performed today--at least not as intended. Apparently Sullivan re-used at least some of the tunes in later works, however.
"Love's flame is the vilest of arsons...." (42) Fuckin' A, Bubba.
Day 3 (DDRD 3,186) July 24, 2026
Read to page 100. Well...maybe this won't take all that long, then. I spent most of my reading time today finishing A Far Country, but it was still no problem at all to put away 40 pages of this. 😶
Finished Trial by Jury, which was short, but not very sweet. In fact, it was kind of stupid. Yet Asimov tells us that this was the real beginning of the Gilbert and Sullivan collaboration, and their first big success. Go figure. Started The Sorcerer, which unfortunately does not star Roy Scheider nor feature music by Tangerine Dream.
Day 4 (DDRD 3,187) July 25, 2026
Read to page 142, which finishes The Sorcerer. Which was better than Trial by Jury, but was still far from good. It would probably be better if I listened to the music while I read, but I haven't been doing that. I'll try it with the next one. (Which is H.M.S. Pinafore.)
Day 5 (DDRD 3,188) July 26, 2026
Read to page 172.
Also read all of Stefan Zweig's "A Chess Story." (Which was quite good.)
This time I did listen to the music (H.M.S. Pinafore), and it was a little challenging (pausing for footnotes), but very enjoyable. I may have to go back and listen to The Sorcerer--though I suspect that it won't measure up to the music in H.M.S. Pinafore, which, after the overture, hits the ground with two excellent tunes.
Stopped at 50:54.
Day 6 (DDRD 3,189) July 27, 2026
Read to page 202...which was the end of H.M.S. Pinafore. (1:44:00 on the video, btw.) This was more entertaining than the previous two, for sure...though the best music were the tunes we heard in the first few minutes after the overture.
Day 7 (DDRD 3,190) July 28, 2026
Read to page 232.
44:01
Day 8 (DDRD 3,191) July 29, 2026
Read to page 262. Really wanted to finish The Pirates of Penzance, but didn't sleep well last night and had a hard cardiotherapy session and must stop for a nap.
Day 9 (DDRD 3,192) July 30, 2026
Read to page 268, which was the end of The Pirates of Penzance...the video of which, by the way, can be found HERE.
This one was very silly, especially in this filmed version. But quite enjoyable. I was surprised to see Kevin Kline, Angela Lansberry, and Linda Ronstadt, all in prominent roles. Linda was magnificent.
But since 6 pages wasn't enough for a good day's work, I started the next "opera," Patience.
277 / 18:55
P.S. I've also been listening to The Sorcerer. I must say that hearing it is quite a different experience than just reading the words. It's still pretty silly, but it does have some beautiful moments. It can be found HERE.
L 10 (DDRD 3,193) July 31, 2026
Read to page 300 / 41:56.
Day 11 (DDRD 3,194) August 1, 2026
Read to 330 / 1:37:27. I am smitten with Patience. She reminds me of LeAnn Hill...with whom I am also smitten. 😉
Day 12 (DDRD 3,195) August 2, 2026
Read to page 348 (the end of Patience) / 2:04:50. The lovely lass who played Patience was one Kerry Scurr.
Day 13 (DDRD 3,196) August 3, 2026
Read to page 361. Not much...but I spent most of the day reading (and finishing) Country People.
Day 14 (DDRD 3,197) August 4, 2026
Read to page 378 / 50:52.
Day 15 (DDRD 3,198) August 5, 2026
Read to page 424 / 1:50:43, end of Iolanthe. I'm not generally a fan of fairy stories, but this one was okay. I did enjoy the social/political commentary--especially on the House of Lords members as being completely unworthy of their positions.
So...next up is Princess Ida, of which I've not previously heard, and then The Mikado, which I've long loved. I am kind of tempted to skip over The Mikado so it will be my last read, but my OCD is not happy with that idea.
Day 16 (DDRD 3,199) August 6, 2026
Read to page 448 (End of Act I) / 32:56. (Of Princess Ida.)
Day 17 (DDRD 3,200) August 7, 2026
Read to page 452 / 41:01 Not much, but a really, REALLY, bad day, so all I had in me.
Day 18 (DDRD 3,201) August 8, 2026
Read to page 482 / 1:27:55. A better day. I actually thought I'd be able to finish this up, but there are still 30 minutes to go and I need to watch Caitlin Clark and The Fever.
Day 19 (DDRD 3,202) August 9, 2026
Read to page 507--The End.
Hey, look! It's the story of my love life:
Thanks, girls!
And BTW, you can find a video of Ida HERE.
Day 20 (DDRD 3,203) August 10, 2026
Read to page 537 / 53:15 (HERE)
Probably because of the use of a racist word, someone decided to rewrite the lyrics of the put them on the list none of them will be missed song. They made it contemporary with references to kids driving cars in the street and things like that. Seems like a long way to go to avoid a single word.
The music here--from the overture up to where I stopped for the day--has been unrelentingly excellent. It's no wonder that this was the most popular of the Gilbert & Sullivan works.
Day 21 (DDRD 3,204) August 11, 2026
Read to page 570 / 1:54:11.
Day 22 (DDRD 3,205) August 12, 2026
Read to page 593, end of Mikado. Pretty sure this was the best of the lot...though some songs from Pinafore and Pirates do keep popping up in my mind.
Day 23 (DDRD 3,206) August 13, 2026
Read to page 624 / 53:43.
Ruddigore (HERE)
Hmmm...that's only Act I. I thought this was going to be a short one. Turns out it's the longest. So far.
Day 24 (DDRD 3,207) August 14, 2026
Read to page 655 / 29:06. There was an interesting scene wherein the pictures of Rob's evil ancestors stepped out of the frames and confronted him, threatening him with torture if he did not stick to the agreement of committing one evil act per day. I think this is the first time that Gilbert has tapped into the supernatural.
Day 25 (DDRD 3,208) August 15, 2026
Read to page /




No comments:
Post a Comment