Friday, June 24, 2022

Roe v Wade

Just got home after a hectic, news-less morning and turned on the tv only to find that the Supreme Court had voted to overturn Roe v. Wade. 

I know that we all saw this coming from a long way off, but I'm still stunned.

The United States of America is now one of the few developed countries that denies a woman the right to choose. (Check out the map at https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2016/06/the-countries-where-even-rape-victims-can-t-get-abortions/ .)

I think about the women I have known in my life. Of the four major romantic relationships I've had in my life, three of those women were raped. If they'd become pregnant from those attacks, there are some states in which they would be forced to bear those babies. One of those states in my very own Kentucky.


So in the past few days the Supreme Court has made it easier to carry concealed weapons...in the midst of a mass shooting epidemic...and taken a right away from women which has been in place for 50 years. 

And it is certainly not the end. This country is headed backwards at one hundred miles per hour. I'm old enough that it won't have much of an effect on me, but I fear for my children.

No comments: