I suppose it started with Christopher Nolan. I watched a video where he went into the Criterion Closet to choose some of his favorite movies. One of them he referred to as The Apu Trilogy. I am a big fan of trilogies and a bigger fan of Christopher Nolan, so I immediately checked the local library listings to see if they had the these movies. They did. I got them, then, as usual, left them to ferment on the table as I did Other Things.
At about the same time I was looking at a New York Times review and saw an ad for a novel called Ghost-Eye by Amitav Ghosh. I don't remember what it was that attracted me to the novel — it might have just been the picture of an eyeball on the cover (see above). At any rate, I checked the library and they had it so I took it out and began to read. It didn't take long for it to pull me in and I finished reading it in just a few days. As soon as I finished it I wanted more from Mister Ghosh.
It was an astonishing novel which touched on reincarnation, environmental disaster, remote viewing, drones, and class warfare...all in one neat package. It also introduced me to Indian and Bangladeshi culture, about which I'd known nothing previously.
At the same time I watched the first two films of The Apu Trilogy, which was also centered around Indian culture. It made for a nice bit of minor immersion.
And just a few minutes ago I picked up this--
--which is the first book of The Ibis Tril🌝gy, and I'm going to start on it as soon as I shut up here.
Like NOW.


No comments:
Post a Comment