Friday, April 9, 2021

A Delightful Coincidence.

I like to watch Food Factory. I don't know why. There's just something about seeing how things are put together that really appeals to me. 1  And seeing how food things are put together is even more entrancing. So...yes, Food Factory

I don't watch it on a regular basis, but not for lack of interest. I am just not capable of remembering when things are on...or even what channel, for that matter. So it's always a matter of coming upon it unexpectedly whilst scrolling around. 

Which I did yesterday. And they were doing a block of episodes, so I just kept hanging in there. One of the episodes included a segment on the making of Turkish Delight. 2


Public Domain

I'm sorry to say that I've never partaken of this Delight of Turkey (the original name of the snack once it had been hijacked from The Ottomans), and, in fact, that I only knew of it from references in C.S. Lewis's The Chronicles of Narnia. Which, by the way, my daughter and son had just started reading with their Zoom book club, and I remembered them talking about Turkish Delight for a few moments. 

But that's not the Delightful Coincidence. 

This is. The next day, Joe and I sat down to watch the latest episode of The Falcon and The Winter Soldier (a most excellent show, by the way, and highly, highly recommended), and one of the bad guys, Baron Zemo, not only referred to Turkish Delight, but used it to bribe some kids into giving him some information.

So there you have it. Another weird coincidence...maybe two or three...which are of absolutely no use whatsoever, other than to make me go, "Whaaa---?"




1  And not just food, so I also like How It's Made. But I haven't seen that one for a very long time. Is it still on?

2  And yes, before the episode was over, I was online checking out prices and availability. (Turns out you can get several different varieties from Walmart, but it's kind of pricey by my poor man standards.)

No comments: