Friday, April 30, 2021

AM Radio


I was listening to a news break on the AM radio (transistor, of course), which is almost always good for a laugh--and when it isn't, it's good for a big dose of despair. 

Neither this time, but there was a story about an actor who had died that gave me some food for thought. The newsman said that he had been diagnosed with Alzheimer's some time ago, but that he died of Covid.  Which immediately made me think about the people who argue that many (most?) people who die from Covid had underlying conditions that really killed them. That bullshit has always frustrated me, but I didn't really know what to say about it. But this news story gave me a thought:

If a person had a heart condition and they were crossing a street and got hit by a car and died, no one would argue that he died because of his heart condition. And that's the same thing, isn't it? Covid is that lethal car. Maybe the person with heart disease would have died in a year anyway. Maybe he would have died in a month. Or a week, or a day. But that is irrelevant. What killed him was the fucking car, man.

Thanks, AM radio. 



2 comments:

don said...

Hey, note the "he died of Covoid" line :-)

I get daily emails from the Oregon Health Authority that among other things lists Covid-related deaths. They always either say something like "they had underlining conditions" or that authorities were looking for/confirming underlying conditions. I'm not sure what their point is in doing that.

Brother K said...

D'oh! And here I was just bitching about poor proofreading in another post. Thanks (as always) for the catch!

As for the OHA (and every other HA, I would guess), I don't get it, either. It's like they're trying to undercut the seriousness of this thing. I don't understand how anyone gains from that. I know several people who have had Covid, and several who have died because of it. None of them thought it was something to be taken lightly.