Friday, April 23, 2021

Roots


I had a Facebook message a month and ten days ago from a former student. It's always good to hear from former students, but in this case, he brought me the very unhappy news that my friend Louis had died. Long story reference how he knew this before I did, even though he lives in Colorado and Louis and I both live in Louisville, but never mind that.

We continued to message each other, and then he came up with the idea to read a book as a kind of tribute to Louis. I suggested Roots, since Louis used to show the mini-series every year to his students. I have to admit that I didn't realize how huge that book is...688 pages in the hardback edition I bought from Thrift Books ($6.13 including tax and shipping, "acceptable" condition, no dust jacket). But my new FF wanted to get going right away, suggested we do 10 chapters per week, and off we went. There are 120 chapters, so theoretically it will take us twelve weeks to finish.

That sounds a bit daunting to me, since I am, as usual, reading a lot of other books right now *, but I like reading with other people, and my FF is very committed to this challenge **, so I'm going to buckle down and get it done. 

This Friday morning I started reading Chapter 20. My goal is to get to the end of Chapter 30 by next Friday morning...a journey of 58 pages. So that seems pretty do-able. And thus far, at least, the book is pretty fascinating. For one thing, it reads like a novel. There's character development, intense description of the scene, and some pretty fucking ominous foreshadowing. In fact, even though I intend to watch the mini-series when I finish the book ***, the book is written in such a way that I feel like I am watching a movie sometimes.

There are many things which have struck me in the 76 pages I have read so far, but here's something which I found particularly noteworthy...and heartbreaking.

Omoro Kinte is talking to his son, Kunta, about the dangers of the white slave traders who have come to Africa. He says,

"The things I'm going to tell you now, you must hear with more than your ears - for not to do what I say can mean you're being stolen away forever!... Never be alone when you can help it... Never be out at night when you can help it. And day or night, when you're alone, keep away from any high weeds or bush if you can avoid it."

It hit me that this was not so different from the words that Black parents have to say to their sons and daughters today...especially with reference to interactions with the police.

That's a sad fucking thought, isn't it?





* (1) The Second World War: Volume V, Closing the Ring, (2) The Skull Measurer’s Mistake: And Other Portraits of Men and Women Who Spoke Out Against Racism, (3) Foundation's Friends, (4) Saints: A Year in Faith and Art, (5) Orthodox Study Bible, (6) The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood (Great Illustrated Classics), (7) Beautiful Bible Stories, (8) The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (Great Illustrated Classics), and (9) Apache Devil.

** I have tried to read books with other people many times in the past. It has always been at their suggestion. None of them has followed through. So finding someone who is actually committed to keep reading and find time to sit and chat about what we've read is a true joy for me.

*** I'm sorry to say that I've never seen more than a few glimpses of it before, but I'm glad to say that it is available via HBOmax, which is becoming one of my bestest friends.

No comments: