Thursday, April 29, 2021

Jeopardy! and The Best of Manhunt

Earlier this afternoon I decided that instead of waiting until tomorrow, as I had intended to do, I would stop by the library (1) and pick up the book they were holding for me. While I was there, I picked up a couple of other things as well, one of which was The Best of Manhunt, edited by Jeff Worzimmer (2).

When I got home I put the library books on a side table and forgot about them, thinking I wouldn't get around to them for a week or so since I was trying to read Roots with a friend, and the pace he'd set was keeping me on my toes. But then I sat down to watch Jeopardy! with Jacqueline, and I pulled The Best of Manhunt off the table (3) to keep me company, because I don't like to just sit and watch tv. I saw that the Afterward was written by Barry Malzberg, for whom I have great love, so I flipped to the back of the book (4) and started reading that. I got through all but the last paragraph when I heard a woman on Jeopardy! mention the fact that when she was a teenager she'd been caught out of doors in a hailstorm...without her pants. (5)*  So I looked up. Guest Host Anderson Cooper asked the woman, "Did someone intentionally lock (6) you out of the house?" And the woman responded that no, she had taken her dog out and the door had locked behind her. That was enough for me, so I started to read the last paragraph of the Malzberg Afterward. On the second line I read


Which is (7), set, and match.

That's kind of weird, isn't it?

P.S. I got this book because it has a short story written by Harlan Ellison, "Rat Hater." I thought it was one I hadn't read, but turns out I had, as it was collected in The Deadly Streets

So there's that.



Why the fuck do people go so far out of their way to make themselves look foolish on this show, I constantly wonder.

No comments: