Thursday, November 24, 2016

Laboratorium Pieśni Што й па мору, Ой y лиси, Oj ty rzeko, Koło mego ogródecka



Q:  What's better than a beautiful woman with a great voice singing a song?

A:  A whole bunch of beautiful women with great voices singing songs.



Q:  And what's better than a whole bunch of beautiful women with great voices singing songs?

A:  A whole bunch of beautiful women with great voices singing songs that sound Native American-ish.



I was doing a little walkthrough on Bandcamp's "Discover" section when I saw an amazing image that I thought was a Native American with a bird perched on his / her ear. (The picture was composed of bright lines and dots, though, so it was hard to tell for sure if that's what it was.) And I clicked on it thinking that it would be Native American music. And the song that I heard--"U lisi"--sure sounded Native American-ish to me. The drumbeat, the chanting voices. So I looked into it. Turns out it's a group of Polish singers who perform songs of all kinds from all over the world.

Once I started listening I didn't want to stop. I'm particularly fond of "Koło mega ogródecka." For one thing, I love the sound of a violin, and it was a very nice addition to the voices and drums. For another, the women are just so beautiful. As are their voices. And the presence of Grandma Kazia, and her bit at the end, just really moved me.

If you want a copy of their first album, you can get a download for a mere €10 ($10.54) or a cd for €13 ($13.71) by going to the Bandcamp website. I really like watching them sing, though, and there are lots of videos on the You Tub for that, but I bought the cd because I want these gals to know that I love them and to receive some small recompense for the joy that they give me. You come too.

No comments: