Friday, November 18, 2016

Blake Crouch's Dark Matters



I'm not quite finished reading 劉慈欣 / Cixin Liu's The Three-Body Problem, but I took a little side trip into Dark Matter by Blake Crouch and found some good stuff that I felt the need to record here. To wit:

"Footfalls echo in the memory 

Down the passage which we did not take 
Towards the door we never opened. 
—T. S. Eliot, “Burnt Norton”
Which is the novel's epigraph.

"No one tells you it’s all about to change, to be taken away. There’s no proximity alert, no indication that you’re standing on the precipice. And maybe that’s what makes tragedy so tragic. Not just what happens, but how it happens: a sucker punch that comes at you out of nowhere, when you’re least expecting it. No time to flinch or brace."

Which is how I feel about the end of both of my marriages.

"We’re all just wandering through the tundra of our existence, assigning value to worthlessness, when all that we love and hate, all we believe in and fight for and kill for and die for is as meaningless as images projected onto Plexiglas."

Which pretty much sums up my current state of mind. Kind of like cynical Buddhism.

A book worth reading, I think--though I'm not quite finished it. But it's been quite a thrilling read.




No comments: