Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Goldie Vance


I haven't spent much time or money on Boom! Studios's comic books. Tried a book book here and a book book there, but never really felt like I was getting top quality material. When I spotted an issue of Goldie Vance on the stands, though, I was really drawn to it. The art (by Brittney Williams) reminded me a bit of Darwyn Cooke. And Bruce Timm. And Rick Burchett. And Mike Parobeck. All of whom I dearly love. So I took a good gander at it. But it was issue #7, and I didn't want to start there, so I thought I'd check on Comixology and see if I could get a deal going there on the earlier issues. And lo and behold, not only did they have the first five issues for $1.99 apiece . . . there was also a collection with issues one through four for $9.99. (Yeah, the math doesn't quite work out on that, does it?) And then I thought, "Maybe I should check the library to see if they have the collected edition?" And not only did they have it . . . they had it on order . . . and nobody else had requested it. So today I picked up a brand new copy of Goldie Vance Volume 1. And I wolfed it down. 

What a great little book this is. It's charming in the way that old time comics are charming (courtesy of the art in part, of course, but also thanks to the writing of Hope Larson, who knows to have fun with a story).  It's a fun time, free of the cynical bullshit so many comics--even those billed as "all ages"--feature these days. Two snaps up with a twist.


No comments: