Sunday, November 13, 2016

Edmund Wilson

So first off, thank you, Universe.

See, I've known about Edmund Wilson for a long time--because Frederick Exley extolled his virtues (specifically with respect to Memoirs of Hecate County) in A Fan's Notes, which I first read about forty years ago. And I even bought Wilson's Axel's Castle and To the Finland Station somewhere along the way . . . though I never read either of them. But for some reason I put a request in to the library for Memoirs of Hecate County last week, picked it up yesterday, and am now 119 pages in. 

Today I stopped by Half-Price Books for the semi-annual 50% off one item sale, and look what was waiting for me on the Old Books shelf:



And the price was . . . 15 bucks. For three hardback books. A total of 2,042 pages. Plus they came packed inside a box. And if you know me, you know that's not a small deal. 15 bucks. But wait, remember that it was 50% off day. So the price was $7.50. 

I know I said I was trying to divest myself of books, not acquire more. But who can say no when the universe makes such a generous offer?

No comments: